The cake looks so pretty and really, it couldn't be easier! Seriously...no skills required!
1. Store-bought Angel Food Cake
2. Fresh whipped cream (if you've never made it, google it...so easy)
3. Strawberries, blackberries, blueberries and mint leaf for garnish
Tip: if your strawberry stems and leaves look wilted and not-so-green, mint leaves are the perfect addition to fluff up the greenery.
There really is no way to mess this up. Nothing has to be arranged perfectly, but it still looks amazing! My favorite kind of cake decorating never needs a piping bag.
Now let's talk about those little berry baskets. Aren't they cute? Who doesn't want a few extra berries with their cake?
The little green baskets came from Amazon. Just search "berry basket" and there are all kinds of colors and materials. I didn't want to put the berries in a naked basket, so I made parchment paper inserts. It took a little trial and error to make the paper stay in the basket without getting all crinkled and ugly, so here are some pics of how I made it work.
1. Cut the parchment paper into squares approx. 10" x 10" I used pinking shears for the little zig zag edge. Note: Reynolds brand parchment paper is printed with the brand name all over (ugly) so I found store-brand parchment paper that was plain white.
2. Make a cut into each side of the parchment, at the half way point. Each cut should be about 3" inches.
3. Slide the parchment flaps, one over the other, at each of the side cuts. It will start to form a square-shaped base that will fit neatly into the berry basket. Once you put it in the basket, it should stay and hold it's shape. Voila! I added a buffalo plaid ribbon for contrast. Since the shape of the berry basket is tapered, the ribbon wanted to slip down the basket. I added a couple of dots of hot glue on the corners to help the ribbons stay in place.
Berry sweet wishes for your party planning! Click the picture below to order a cake topper and re-create this simple dessert for yourself.
Avalon Sunshine cake toppers are the easiest way to decorate your cake without any stress or decorating skills. They work great for traditional and non-traditional cakes...home-baked and store bought cakes. Find a bunch of simple and fun decorating ideas here, then go plan the best party ever!